The most famous motorcycle rental service company in Japan
RENTAL819 HOME > The 3 Fundamental Items to ride in Japan

The 3 Fundamental Items to ride in Japan

In this page we are going to introduce you the 3 items needed to safely ride in Japan with Rental819.

*People owing a Japanese driving license and with Japanese residence do not need any other documents. However we suggest to always keep with you your Visa and your Passport.

First Item: Domestic Driving License

The first, fundamental, item to safely ride in Japan is your domestic license.

Also, it must be not expired and valid for riding the vehicle of your choice in Japan.

Second Item: Passport

Second important item to ride in Japan for people not resident in this country is the Passport. Bring it with you as a personal document and also as a proof of your legal stay in Japan.

*The time limit for a tourist visa in Japan vary from country to country, so please check your maximum permitted length of stay with the Japan Embassy in your country.

Third Item: International Driving Permit or Official Japanese Translation

Basing on your driving license issuing country, to drive in Japan you will need an International Driving Permit based on the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or an Official Translation of your Driving License made by the Japanese Automobile Federation (JAF).

To check which one of these two documents you will need basing on your country, please check this page 

Riders coming from countries under the International Driving Permit have to make sure to have the stamp on the A section for motorcycle riding.Also, they must make sure to receive a 1949 Geneva Convention based International Driving Permit, since there is also another International Driving Permit based on 1968 Vienna Convention on road traffic, which is not accepted in Japan.

Important Notes

Finally, to be able to safely ride in Japan with Rental819, please check below first:

  • That Driving License, Passport and (for countries needing it) International Driving Permit are not expired.
  • That the vehicle you are going to book is not excluded by eventual restrictions into your license.
  • For countries needing the IDP, that the IDP has been issued with the stamp on the A section for motorcycles.
  • That your stay in Japan will not be exceeding your visa permitted length of stay.

*Please notice that Rental819 do not take any responsibility for any eventual problems related to above list.